What is Tallit?
Tallit, or Tallith refers to the prayer shawl which is considered a very authentic garment of Jews. This has been in a rectangular shape of wool or linen piece (at times, silk or polyester) having special fringes named as “Tzitzit” on every corner. The main purpose of this garment is for holding the Tzitzit. Majority of talliot (talleisim is its alternative plural) had Atarah, a neckband which is usually embroidered on it.
Who Wears Tallit?
Basically, tallit is worn by Jews who already reached the majority age which is 13. However, in other communities, the girls who reached the majority at 12 can start wearing it. People can also see tallit in congregations. There are racks of tallitot for visitors available.
The way that Tzitzit is being tied serves as a form of Jewish art which is a kind of macramé. The hole will be carefully reinforced in every tallit corner. Through every hole, there are 4 strands inserted: 1 long strand and 3 short strands.
Simply line up these 4 strands, thus, 3 strands with equal length will be doubled evenly. The other 4 strands will be lined up on a single end with other 7 ends. Form a double knot with 4 strands in both hands. Take the longer strand (shammash) and have it winded around other 7 strands for 7 times in spiral motion. Make another double knot and wind shammash on the 7 strands 8 times. Once you had done it appropriately, Tzitzit should have 7-8-11-13 winds in between double knots.
As you try to learn how to wear a tallit prayer shawl, you will discover other important things that are closely connected to it. When you are going to put on the Prayer Shawl, you have to follow the given steps below:
1. Open the tallit then hold it in your both hands. You are going to see the atarah (a collar brand where “blessing” is being embroidered).
2. Recite Berachah.
3. Kiss the atarah’s end in which the word “blessing” has been embroidered.
4. Have the tallit wrapped around the shoulders. Hold it over the head for a few private meditation moments.
5. Adjust your tallit on the shoulders comfortably.
There are certain important things to remember when learning how to wear a Tallit prayer Shawl. In the case of women who want to wear it, make sure that they are going to follow some important reminders:
1.The neckband should be held at both ends.
2. The fringes should be correct and they should be held in place.
3. Repeat blessing.
4. Put your Tallit over the head. Bring its neckband close to the mouth as much as possible.
5. Place your Tallit across your shoulders.
Wearing your Tallit has been essential but it should be done with proper prayer or blessing. This way, you are showing the proper way of wearing talit prayer shawl as a religious garment. This is also showing your respect to this religious thing.