For parents who have their first baby, it is significant to give the entire thing the child needs. Having the first baby is one of the happiest moments for parents. That’s why they should give all their love on him or her and also the things that will help them in keeping their baby safe and healthy. It is a fact that the baby’s body and bones are soft during the early stage of his or her life. Therefore, the bed of their baby should have soft bedding stuffs that will give comfort to the child while he or she sleeps. One of the bedding stuffs that parents should have for their baby is a rag quilt baby blanket. This material will protect the baby from the cold temperature and insects like mosquito.
Actually, a rag quilt baby blanket is offered in the market in a high price so that’s why most parents can’t purchase it. There are times that it tends to be unhelpful to parents leaving them with problems and dissatisfaction. These the reasons why experts formulated some helpful steps on how to make a rag quilt baby blanket. Because it is made by the experts, you and your husband will have the assurance that you can do it perfectly. When you start reading these steps, make sure that both of you understand it so that you will have the complete idea in performing the process. Aside from that, you can also avoid committing mistakes that will require you to do the same process again.
1. Make use of unused fabric cloth for the rag quilts and because you will make it a blanket, it should be wider. You must have 100 inches x 65 inches quilt that requires 5 to yards of fabric. The quilt must be from 3 ½ yards for the main fabric and 8 ½ half yard for the complementary fabric.
2. Cut the 180 8 inches of squares of flannel, 142 squares for the main fabric, and 8 squares for the complementary fabric.
3. Cut 180 pieces of fabric for batting. This should contain a measurement of 5 inches.
4. Place the 5 inches square of fabric in the 6 inches square. Make sure that it is aligned to the square edges. Make 90 fabric blocks again. 42 blocks for the main fabric and 48 for the complementary.
5. Make use of a clear ruler in the lining up the corners diagonally. You can also use the water soluble fabric marker to have a clearer mark. Repeat it again but, do it in the opposite side so that you can create an X mark to entire block.
6. Sew up the first corner until you reach the opposite corner of it. You must follow the line marks that you created in the fifth step.
7. Arrange the first two blocks and the sides of it. Sew it together but you must spare a ½ inch of its total measurement as allowance. Make sure that the ½ inch allowance of it is facing the front quilt.
8. Lay out the blocks of main fabric.
9. Pin the first row in the secondary row and give it an additional allowance so that you can keep it open.
10. Clip the entire layers with allowance and stitch the remaining allowance of it in order to have a perfectly made rag baby quilt blanket.
11. After that, wash and place it under to sun to make it dry. Then, you can place in your baby’s bed.