Silver is a warm and soft metal that that is being preferred by trinkets and jeweler from different parts of the world. However, silver tarnishes very easy. That is why experts advised to store silver jewelry in tissue paper or acid free material to avoid tarnishing. In order to keep your silver shiny, it is important that you clean it on a regular basis using the best method.
Sterling silver acts with moisture, making layer of oxidation or tarnishing its shell or exterior. Baking soda mixed with water serves as an excellent tool for removing the tarnish or oxidation by making it united with the aluminum, leaving your silver jewelry shiner and cleaner than before. This is not just the natural and simple way of cleaning and polishing your silver, but it is also the cheapest and safest one.
• Baking Soda
• Pan or aluminum foil
• Plastic or glass dish
Steps on Cleaning Jewelry With Baking Soda
1. Boil enough amount of water to sink all your silver jewelry.
2. Line a plastic or glass bowl with a little crumpled aluminum foil. When you have a tiny aluminum pot that you will not need for preparing food, better use this one.
3. Lay all your silver jewelry on the aluminum, ensuring the jewelry taps the aluminum.
4. Shower a thin coating of baking soda to your jewelry.
5. Pour sufficient amount of water so as to submerge the silver jewelry. Bubbling must take place, releasing a rotten egg smell.
6. Move the jewelry around slowly using a plastic or wood utensil to make sure that the jewelry surfaces touches the aluminum. After a while you will see that your silver is changing its appearance.
7. Rinse your jewelry under running water. To make sure that you do not lose small parts like pendants and earrings, put a strainer so as to get anything might slip off while rinsing your jewelry.
8. Wipe your jewelry gently using an absorbent towel then polish using a soft cloth.
Warnings and Tips
To save a significant amount of money from buying aluminum, you can consider the one used for pies and frozen cakes.
To reduce tarnishing, keep your silver in a damp free environment. Utilize plastic bag with zipper lock, anti tarnish strip that can be purchased at jewelry shops, or damp absorbent items that are accessible in pharmacy stores.
Wet absorbent packet in some products like pharmaceutical drugs, shoes, and some types of accessories that are responsive to moisture can be used by placing some in the jewelry box to minimize tarnish on your precious silver jewelry.
Utilize this strategy in order to clean tiny pieces of jewelry flatware as well as dining accessories is an excellent idea. Clean silver jewelry with baking soda is a way for retaining the beauty of your precious accessory. There is no need for you to pay more or hire a professional to clean your jewelry. With just the right tool and enough knowledge on how to clean and store your silver jewelry, you can already ensure that you will enjoy its beauty for a long period of time.